Some of you will remember reading about Planet Blue's 2009 trip to Mexico's Sea of Cortez. Well, I have now gained the confidence of two marine biologists, Dr Alexandros Frantzis in Greece, and Dr Laura Abbriano in Italy. Both are passionate advocates on behalf of the cetaceans, with a deep love and appreciation of the marine environment in which they work. Both have also agreed to work with me on a program for 2010.
Therefore, I intend to conduct surveys in support of the eastern Mediterranean population of sperm whales during april and may 2010. From a base in the Ionian Sea, the plan is-:
1. To survey north around the South Adriatic Basin, april 3-16. This would ideally be a two week trip but it may be possible to join/leave for just one. Offshore time spent locating and cataloguing whales and dolphins will be interspersed with visits ashore, possibly in Greece, Italy, Montenegro and Albania. The exact itinerary will depend on the weather.
2. To survey south and west around the northern Ionian Sea, april 17-23. This trip will include time spent around Kefalonia and end in Zakynthos, once again mixing offshore overnight passages with some relaxing time among the islands.
3. An extended offshore survey around the Ionian Basin ending in Sicily, april 24-30. Previous sailing experience is not necessary but would be useful on this one.
4. Surveys around the Aeolian Islands led by Dr Abbriano, may 1-7 and 8-14. These will mix survey work with time to explore the spectacular volcanic islands in the group.
5. A twelve day offshore survey heading south and east from Sicily along the Malta Ridge before looping north west back to Greece, may15-27. An exciting 650 nm trip ending in Levkas.
There are three or four places available on each trip.